and Bio feedback
HeartMath - Unlock the Power of Your Heart
Heart rate variability (HRV) provides the best available means of measuring the interaction of sympathetic and parasympathetic tone, that is, of brainstem regulatory integrity.” (van der Kolk, 2006)
• The social engagement system has a regulating, calming, and soothing effect reflected in rhythmic oscillations in heart rate variability.
• Inhales stimulate sympathetic nervous system
• Exhales stimulate parasympathetic nervous system.
• Low HRV is associated with anxiety and depression
• High HRV is associated with positive emotions and resistance to stress.